SABC Launches Probe into Alleged Ghost Employee Schemes

Ramaphosa Brushes Off Zuma Party Snub
December 18, 2023
Funds Ensure New Doctor Placements
December 18, 2023

SABC Launches Probe into Alleged Ghost Employee Schemes

The South African Broadcasting Corporation (SABC) has opened an investigation following accusations that managers created phoney “ghost worker” jobs to collect extra salary payments.

The allegations surfaced publicly after an anonymous email circulated online purportedly exposing about 20 ghost employees on the payroll in the SABC News division over the past 6 months.

In a statement, SABC said one news manager implicated in the scheme has already resigned since the start of the internal investigation.

Moshoeshoe Monare, the head of SABC News and Current Affairs, confirmed to the network that numerous questionable contracts had been uncovered.

“We discovered several contracts that turned out to be irregular, corrupt and fraudulent,” Monare said.

Beyond the resigned manager, Monare said other employees also face disciplinary reviews related to the ghost worker claims. Findings will be passed to authorities for any further necessary probes.

SABC cautioned the public that the email contains unverified information and should not be redistributed as fact without additional confirmation.

Rooting out potential waste or fraud through phantom jobs would help the cash-strapped public broadcaster better deliver on its public service mission. For now, officials appear committed to getting to the bottom of the serious allegations.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

6 + thirteen =